by Jennifer McClure
The Society for New Communications Research has announced the winners of the 2008 SNCR Excellence in New Communications Awards at the 3rd Annual SNCR Research Symposium & Awards Gala held at the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge Mass. on Friday, November 14th.
The Society’s prestigious awards program honors individuals, corporations, nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, and media outlets that are pioneering the use of social media, ICT, mobile media, online communities, virtual worlds, and collaborative technologies in the areas of business, media, journalism and professional communications, entertainment, education, social initiatives, government and politics. This year the Society’s Fellows reviewed nearly 100 case study submissions.
Awards were granted in six divisions: Corporate, Government, Media, Nonprofit/NGO, Academic, and Technology Innovation, and in seven categories: Behind the Firewall; Blogger Relations; Collaboration and Co-creation; External Communications and Communities; New Media Creation; Mobile Media and Online Reputation Management. The winners include:
- “Behind the Firewall” (Internal Communications/Corporate Division: Dell, Inc.
- Blogger Relations/Corporate Division: Molson with Hill & Knowlton
- Collaboration & Co-creation/Corporate Division: Dell’s IdeaStorm Team with Salesforce.com
- Collaboration & Co-creation/Academic Division: United Nations University
with the WHO Centre for Health Development
- External Communications & Communities/Government Division: State Bar of Texas
- External Communications & Communities/Nonprofit Division: Couchsurfing, International
- External Communications & Communities/Corporate Division: SAP
- New Media Creation/Social Media Production/Nonprofit Division: Homeless Nation
- New Media Creation/Social Media Production/Academic Division: Lynn University
- New Media Creation/Social Media Production/Corporate Division: The Washington Capitals with Brand Thunder
- New Media Creation/Social Media Production/Media Division: Revision3
- Mobile Media/Corporate Division: Unilever with Edelman Mobile for the Dove campaign
- Online Reputation Management/Academic Division: University of Illinois at Springfield
- Online Reputation Management/Corporate Division: Network Solutions with Livingston Communications
- Technology Innovation: Mobility Public Relations, Vizu, Inc., and Zannel
The Society’s Fellows also honored Charlene Li and Josh Bernoff, co-authors of Groundswell as the 2008 SNCR Visionaries of the Year, Twitter as the Innovation of the Year, and Dell, Inc. as the Brand of the Year. SNCR recognized Dell with three awards in all – honoring Dell’s excellence in using social media tools and technologies to improve the company’s internal communications, collaboration initiatives, and brand image.
In addition to the top award winners in each division and category, Commendations of Merit and Commendations of Excellence were presented to more than 35 other organizations that submitted case studies in the awards program.
More than 50 of these winning case studies have been published here: